Thursday, October 02, 2008

debate or debate?

debate.

I am currently streaming both debates, the Canadian Leader's Debate via CBC, and the US Vice Presidents Debate via CNN.

Now, over the last few weeks it has been easy to wonder: which election has been the bigger joke? Well, judging from the debate: I probably switched over to the American debate full time when the Canadians started talking about which health clinics they go to. I did not do it quite intently, it was just a minor decision between which to mute, and frankly the Canadians were not really engaging in a good debate.

I find it rather easy for the opposition to attack conservative policies, by pulling out idealistic ideas that are found in political science, philosophy, and economics textbooks. I'd rather like to see some more concreteness on how any of these ideas actually can be achieved. Emphasis on actually. Dion said something to the effects of "we support tax cuts for everyone," no kidding. Too bad, we also want to commit to more jobs, more programs, extended health care, better infrastructure and so on, and that all those things need to be paid for, by oil companies? Maybe it is because I am studying economics I tend to overthink the policies presented, but I can only imagine what anyone without any training in economic or public policy must think. It sounds so easy for politicians to crank out some statistics, calculate possible or potential tax bases etc. but dear oh dear. That is not easy. So yeah, I am a bit skeptical.
At the end Steve P., the facilitator, suggested that the Canadian debate was much better than that of the Americans. I am going to have to disagree.
I can appreciate the civility between the two candidates in the American debate. I can appreciate their controlled emotion and their appeal to American peoples. I even got a little teary-eyed when mr. biden talked about losing his wife. And overall, the debate was more organized, the questions more straigtforward and easier to follow when there aren't people talking through each other, raising their voices, and pulling eyebrows the whole time.

Since I have a microeconomic theory assignment due on monday, I better get back to school work. I just had to note down my quick impressions. But I do have to say this, it is an interesting time to learn more about economics and politics. Especially with the sub-prime mortgage market crisis in the US, the billion dollar bail-out plan, and panic on Bay Street. Interesting stuff. And I change my opinion on these matters on a daily basis ... and as a history students also, I am already wondering what the history textbooks in 50 years will say.

for some good measure:
Rob Thomas - All that I am
Go SENS Go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well let me say that i couldnt have said it better myself. except for the fact that i dont understand over half of the stuff you are saying so next time maybe write in plain english
lol hahahahah jk